Portfolio

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Rainy Days - Breakpoint

  A post of mine, taken from my CA Sketchbook, June 26th:

"Today was quite a bad day for me, I don't even know why. Somehow things I need to learn and think about, they just seem like huge mountains that I have no way or tools for climbing over them.
The mixed feeling of being lost, depressed and hopeless, not really sure where I am going and why.

I have been reading quite a lot of articles, blogposts and texts concerning concept art (and well, art in general) and also checking out lots of amazing paintings made by professionals working in the field lately.

Pretty much everyone of those people have a really distinguishable style and really creative/cool solutions to things. Then I look at my own stuff and... I feel lost, trying to emulate and do things I'm not really cabable of doing yet.

One thing I also have noticed about my own stuff is that I don't plan my paintings enough. Maybe not the most, but pretty many of them kinda come from just fooling around, throwing paint on the wall and seeing what sticks.


3 things for myself to do:


1. Focus more
- Have an idea for a painting, even if it came with random doodling, make different thumbnails, think about the concept, everything. Plan stuff.
2. Study more
- The very essential stuff for making art: anatomy, colors, lights, forms, perspective.
I have done some of this, but for example anatomy is something I have been afraid of practicing for a too long time.
3. Find my own goal
- Think about what is the thing I want to do, what kind of art, what kind of style and tryout all kinds of different stuff, subjects and tools.

I tried to dig into anatomy a little bit today, but I guess I'll have to go one part at a time for so long that I feel comfortable drawing it.

Anyway, here are some ballpoint sketches from Bridgman, photos, real life and imagination.

Thanks for the support guys, let's keep the ball rolling!"


So, the point is I've noticed I really lack skill in the basics of making art. I can do mediocre stuff yes, but the level I want to achieve is still far as hell. I might have ideas for some nice stuff, but in practice it just doesn't go all the way to the end how I've wanted it to go. Time to start getting some serious studying done and leave other/random stuff out more, until I can execute it better.

I want you people to kick my ass if I leave my studies undone, because I want and need to do it. Thanks for looking, here are some anatomy studies + arms, arms and more arms. Anatomy, I'm coming for ya!

Ps. A good advice that a fellow artist told me was to remember keep having fun. It's an obvious thing and it should be (drawing all those dinosaurs, dragons and knights as a kid), but with all the pressure coming from outside and inside, it's easy to forget it also. If it's not fun, take a moment and give it some thought.

 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Vablo :)
    In my opinion you are doing very well. I think you should keep going and don't worry that your paintings do not have one style (I know something about it), it will come to you. I think that the weather was horrible today and it could bring depressing feelings. 
    I keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Emilia.

    Yeah, the style will probably get there after I do a lot of paintings and handle the basics better. I'm feeling better now though, maybe because I have been able to clear my head a bit and found something to work on, and of course also with the support of my lovely fellow artists and friends.

    I appreciate what you're saying, this made my day a lot sunnier than it has been. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun is shining behind the window. I just wanted to write that you are very talented, a lot of people would like to achieve your painting skills level. I could see on your tutorial how do you start your painting. Not a lot of people can create something from imagination, they need first to go through a lot of materials to get inspired - but you have it, is in you nature - is your imagination. Keep going dude! ;P

    ReplyDelete